Resilient Older Youth Group
This 9-week long group is for 13-18 year olds who are living with, or exposed to, mental illness, substance misuse, or any other form of addictions such as gambling in their families. The group is a combination of psycho-education, group support, and recreation.
The group is co-facilitated by various community organizations, and the aim is to provide both a male and a female facilitator to mirror the composition of the groups.
The group format focuses on:
- Group Norms/Guidelines for group formation and relationship building
- Understanding and learning about a mental illness, and breaking down the stereotypes and stigma associated with mental illness
- Understanding and learning about drugs, and understanding the foundations of addiction
- Learning how to speak about, and cope, with a family members’ mental illness and/or addiction in healthy ways
- Learning how to support their family member through challenges such as mental health and/or addiction
- Problem solving tough situations and learning how to reach out for help
- Learning to express feelings and develop emotional literacy
- Building healthy relationships with peers and other adults
The philosophy of the Resilient Older Youth groups is to Eat, Talk and Do. Eating together and communicating with others with shared experiences is a powerful experience for adolescents. The Resilient Older Youth group members find new ways of living with their family’s situation and often create new and healthier coping skills.
The next Resilient Older Youth Group offered:
Wednesdays 3:30pm – 5:00pm
October 3, 2018 – December 5, 2018
Garratt Wellness Centre (7504 Chelsea Place, Richmond, BC V7C 3S9)
We are always accepting referrals.
All referrals are accepted if the parent feels mental illness or substance use from a family member is impacting their parenting or their family’s health and well-being. If there are concerns as to the child’s group readiness, alternatives can be discussed. We want all children to be successful, which may mean that individual support may be the best choice for some children who are not group ready.
Please call 604-782-1306 to register and setup an intake meeting or use the form below to send an email: